Monday 11 July 2011

sports day


sports day, originally uploaded by Cat Johnson.

Infants and Juniors at my son's school are having sports day this coming Thursday. My boy and his friend are both rotten bad losers and serious bad sports, so my friend Penny and I decided to try to be good mommies and have a sports day practice at the weekend. For me, it backfired big time. My boy had a major meltdown because he didn't win a race, and things went from bad to worse, with him forgetting all the things I'd been practising with him about how to be magnanimous in victory, gracious in defeat. He stomped off far away from us, refused to join in, and had a huge paddy. When we finally persuaded him to do a running race (he is very fast, he won but refused to accept his medal. Boy, did he sprint away from his friend at that point. It all ended in tears when his friend marched over and told him he was a bad loser. Technically correct, but my lad chucked a complete mental of stratospheric proportions all the way home. Unfortunately, his chum reminded him in the queue at school this morning that he's a bad loser.

The picture on the right is my boy's entry for the school council's design a poster for sports day. The writing is all his own and he copied some of the photos I shot for the sack and running races.

No comments:

Post a Comment